Alimony reform being considered in Florida

Whenever you come across a new story, report, or study about alimony please share it with us here. Newspapers, magazines, TV news programs or YouTube, if it is news about alimony we want to hear it.

Moderator: Bill

Skitz
Site Admin

Postby Skitz » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:56 pm

For the sake of the long-suffering people of Florida, I hope that the third time's a charm. This year alimony reform in Florida is back in the legislative agenda for the third time. It has already been troubled by division over the child-sharing issue but that may have been sorted out now. Let's wish them luck!

TALLAHASSEE (FOX 13) - Divorces could soon be going by a new set of guidelines, as lawmakers are looking at proposals that include reform to alimony and child custody.

There are several bills currently on the table, which are predominantly aimed at ending permanent alimony and setting minimum and maximum amounts that divorcees are responsible for paying.

"It's not going to have a huge impact on me, but if I can keep anybody else from going through what I've gone through, then it's well worth it," said Tarie MacMillan.

MacMillan was divorced 16 years ago and was ordered by a judge to pay her ex-husband 65-percent of her income for the rest of her life.

"$7,000 a month, that's the judgment that's against me," she said. "I've adjusted my style of living."

Since then, she's lost a home to foreclosure and filed for bankruptcy................

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/96825983-story
(click for full text)

When the courts order you to pay alimony, the yoke's on you!

Skitz
Site Admin

Re: Alimony reform being considered in Florida

Postby Skitz » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:50 pm

Permanent alimony may finally end in Florida

TALLAHASSEE: Like divorce itself, the push to reform alimony in Florida has been messy, with two legitimately concerned sides and little trust between them.

Florida is one of just a handful of states that still has permanent alimony, and this year marks the fourth time in as many years the Legislature has attempted reform.

The House is ready to vote on a bill that would replace permanent alimony with a mathematical formula to determine how much help should be given and for how long. It faces one last committee test before it goes to a full vote in the Senate.

The bill likely has enough support to make it to the governor's desk. A similar bill last year passed the House, but the Senate never voted on it because the House adjourned early.

For West Palm Beach obstetrician/gynecologist Natalie Sohn, change can't come soon enough.

"I'm a lifetime alimony payer after only 14 years of marriage," she said. "There is no way I can pay for my ex-husband, my three kids in college, and put a little away for myself for retirement."...........

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florid ... story.html
(click for full text)

When the courts order you to pay alimony, the yoke's on you!

Return to “The News Desk”